Tuesday 4 November 2014

6. Liver

As you know, I've been bed bound since Friday. I feel a lot more positive about it today - so far - than I did at the weekend. 

Have I accepted my fate then? Dunno. Have I got used to my predicament then? Dunno. Do I think that I will get the physical levels that I have experienced of late back? Dunno. So it's a relapse then? Dunno.

There are more questions than answers. Only time will be able to tell me what I'm looking for, and I have plenty of that. 

I'm not so sure it's a relapse. I haven't had one for over two years - since before I started taking Gilenya. I've been labelled up as 'relapsing remitting MS' but I've been slowly progressing for about five years now. I think that's called 'Progressively relapsing'. There's my own diagnosis for you. 

I am also, in my wisdom considering knocking  the Gilenya on the head. Am I mad? No. I'm thinking along these lines for two reasons. The first is that age old conundrum that many of us have at some point or another, ' My disease modifying therapy isn't working anymore'. Nobody can tell you that with any certainty and the only way to find out is to stop taking it. Lots of risk with little to gain. 

The second reason is a bit more serious. The results of my liver function tests have gone through the roof! I've been having regular blood tests since I started taking Gilenya, because it can affect the liver. I've given no less than six test tubes of blood last week. They looked for everything from drink/drug abuse to Hepatitis B and C. All have come back clear, so I can safely assume that my disease modifying therapy is the culprit. 

I will - hopefully - speak to my MS nurse today and get them to speak to my Consultant about my concerns. Unless they strongly advise against stopping Gilenya, or they tell me my liver function test results are not dangerous. I'll probably knock it on the head. 

Kind regards,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment