Monday 24 November 2014

7. Adapting to adaptions

It's been a few weeks since I last wrote to you, and a fair bit has happened in that time. 

Firstly, I've had a hoist delivered, which enables the carers to lift me up off the bed each morning, so I'm no longer bedridden. They take me from the bed to my riser/recliner chair, and once I'm in that, I can rise myself so that I'm standing, which enables me to get into my mobility scooter, thus enabling me to go around the town again and cause carnage!

I've also been given a hospital style bed. It means I had to get rid of the double, but that's a small price to pay when you bare in mind the bed is electric - it raises, it lowers, it sits me up. It even makes the tea and the toast!

Things are going well with the carers. They come in four times per day. I need them in the morning, and also the evening visit. I rarely need the the lunch or afternoon call, but I found out that if I cancel the call, the carers lose money, so they still come round, and we have a tea or coffee, or something. 

I'm booked in to have an MRI scan next Monday. That will tell me a few things. It will tell me whether I've had a relapse recently. If, as I expect, it shows no new disease activity, it will add weight to the argument that I've entered the secondary progressive phase of the illness when I see my Consultant a few weeks later. 

Whilst I'm at the hospital next Monday, I've got an appointment to have an ultrasound scan on my abdomen. They want to look at my liver. As already said, blood tests have shown my liver function levels are high, so it looks like one way, or the other they'll be stopping my disease modifying treatment quite soon.

Kind regards,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment